£24,000 per annum plus excellent benefits
- 40 hours per week, working 5 out of 7 days including evenings and weekends
The Junior Sous Chef will be part of the Bar & Grill team and will report to the Head Chef.
Goodwood is a quintessentially English estate, set in 12,000 acres of rolling West Sussex countryside. Rooted in our heritage, we deliver extraordinary and engaging experiences in modern and authentic ways. But what really sets us apart is our people. It is their passion, enthusiasm and belief in the many things we do that makes Goodwood the unique place it is.
It takes a certain sort of person to flourish in such a fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment like Goodwood. We look for talented, self-motivated and enthusiastic individuals who will be able to share our passion for Goodwood to be ‘the home of exceptional experiences’.
Purpose of the role
Supporting the Head Chef, to develop a fantastic dining experience, utilising the very best of local and Estate reared seasonal ingredients and create dishes with a true British flavour, reflecting the finest Sussex produce and executed with care and precision.
To deliver an exceptional experience in line with the Goodwood brand and values and to support the Head Chef with the food offering at both Hound Lodge and the Kennels, ensuring that customer expectations are met and exceeded.
- To support the Head Chef with cost management, including margin control, food revenue, payroll cost control and Capex management;
- To support with the development of food concepts – writing, costing and implementing menus, managing food tastings and ensuring that food concepts are kept fresh and modern with appropriate themes and meeting the needs of the target customers;
- To lead by example by offering excellent levels of service and professionalism and supporting the team to develop their customer service skills;
- Work with the Head Chef to develop a succession plan for the kitchen team to ensure talent is recognised and encouraged whilst planning for the future of the department;
- To ensure that there is clear, consistent and two-way communication within the team;
- Complete relevant training on the e-learning system and support the Head Chef to ensure the kitchen team complete their training in a timely manner;
- To be up to date in relation to competitor awareness by carrying out industry research and reporting relevant findings and recommendations for Goodwood;
- Responsible for the Health & Safety of the department, with an emphasis on meeting and exceeding food safety standards;
- Work closely with suppliers to ensure value for money and minimal wastage;
- To act as an ambassador for the Goodwood brand at all times, ensuring Group values are upheld to both internal and external contacts, through appropriate behaviour and performance;
- To be flexible and willing to support other departments at busy times if required
Qualities you will possess
- Passion for what you do
- Positive and friendly with a “can do attitude”
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and organise
- Take responsibility for yourself
- Coaching - train and develop junior chef’s
- A passion for food and service
- Confidence to make decisions and to stand by them
- Excellent communicator
- A sense of fun!
What do you need to be successful?
- Proven relevant experience of working in similar standard food and beverage operations;
- Experience of working at Sous or Junior Sous Chef level within establishments of a similar standard;
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and produce consistent results;
- Good level of knowledge of ingredients, wines, spirits and food service;
- Previous experience of managing a team is desired, and the ability to manage the team and the kitchen in the absence of the Head Chef;
- NVQ Level 3 in Professional Cookery & Level 2 Food Hygiene certificate